Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm in Madrid!

From: Morgan Miller elder.miller@myldsmail.net

Elder Morgan Miller
Spain Madrid Mission
Avenida de Espana 17, Local 01-1
E-28100 Alcobendas (Madrid)
SPAIN

I got transferred to the center of Madrid. That Christmas tree that you sent me a picture of is in my area. I am in Barrio 5 where Elder Ott was before he went to Ciudad Real. My new companion is Elder McBride. I am way excited to be with him. Elder McBride was in Fuenlabrada when I was in Mostoles, and then afterwords as well. By the way, Fuenlabrada has grown so much in the missionary work since I was there 1 year ago. There are 4 elders there now, instead of 2. Mostoles has grown as well, and yesterday received a companionship of Hermanas. So that is awesome. Elder McBride is from West Jordan and his dad owns a restaurant called Geckos Mexican Grill on 10600 South 781 West. You should go there. That would be cool. He is in the same group as Elder Peterson, my 2nd companion in Segovia. Sorry about last week’s short email. I sent the first one, and then I typed up another one just as long, if not longer, all about what happened the week before. So the computer kicked me out about a minute early and poof went the email. So, sorry about that. I will try to type that stuff up next week.
On the Christmas phone call, it would be splendid if you could call at 7:50, and then Elder McBride’s family will call at 8:50. Our area is way crazy as far as the work with the metro travel. I am a fish out of water here, and having a struggle to adjust to the work. It’s a weird style. we have to take the Metro about 30 minutes between appointments, and make contacts and commute in super close quarters, and sometimes pressed up against people. It’s so different! We don’t have a super lot of investigators, but we teach a bunch of members, menos activos, and the 7 recent converts from last transfer and the ones before that. In this district is Elder Weinert, the District Leader with Elder Goldhardt (cousin of Mark Goldhardt). Then there are Hermanas as well. They are Hermana Salas from South America and Hermana Thompson from Alaska. It’s kind of interesting with Hermanas now. We have the Plaza Mayor, the Royal Palace, Sol, and lots of museums in our area. We live 2 Metro stops from Atocha, and the Reina Sofia is just down the street. Santiago Bernardo, the Real Madrid stadium, is right next to our area as well. So what I said about never serving in Madrid isn’t true anymore. It sounds like the hustle and bustle is going in full force back home.
If you could call Elder Brown for me, and invite him to the house for dinner when he comes to Utah that would be awesome. He just got home today or yesterday. If you could give him a call, that would be great. I gave him your number and address for when he is in Salt Lake and invited him to dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s one Sunday night.
Thanks for the updates on everything. Thanks for the packages, and thank Grandma Judy and everyone for the paper Christmas tree and ornaments. It is up on our wall with of the presents underneath, but it doesn’t feel an ounce like Christmas. The piso here needs some cleaning, and so we are going to whip it into shape today. It was really sad to leave Ciudad Real. They gave me the opportunity to bear my testimony and I almost cried, but didn’t. Just to say good by to the Pedrajas, the Sanzs, Jose Antonio, Luis Gallego, Arnaldo and Arnaldito, Denis, Irma, the Lopezs, and the investigators who were just doing great when I left was very hard. We had a noche de hogar on Saturday with 32 people there and 6 were investigators. Teo and Estefania were there with their new baby boy, Oswaldo and Luz, Takisne and Rei, and then at church the next day were Patrick and Takisne and Rei. Also at church was the Primary Program, which is hysterical wherever you go in the world. We have the Barrio 5 Primary Program this week so I get back to back Primary Programs. I think that is one of the best Christmas presents I have ever received, and to be on a mission, and to serve the Lord here. Like I said, it is kind of hard to shift gears from La Mancha, the land of Don Quixote to here, but I will do my best. I know Elder Haynie will take over with no problem, and my replacement as District Leader is awesome. He is Elder Parry from Logan. He lives next-door to the Lamberts and has been snowmobiling at the cabin. I’m in a new chapter of my mission and it will be an interesting one. We have Mission Council on Thursday, and that will be awesome I am sure. That’s the Zone Leader meeting at the mission home, and this one is the one where we set the goals for next year. Also, we are going caroling on Saturday night as a Zone, and then we have Christmas Conference on Monday. The Zone is Cuatro Caminos which includes Segovia, Salamanca, Valladolid, Barrio 1, Barrio 5, Villalba, and that’s it, I believe. Elder Sewell is in Salamanca, Elder Fairbanks is in Barrio 1, and Elder Jarman is in Valladolid. So that should be fun to be around those elders, and I will get to go on exchanges with Elder Jarman, as well. Our piso is smaller than in Ciudad Real, with just one bathroom and one bedroom, and a small living room and then 2 study rooms, and a small kitchen. But it is amazingly placed right in the heart of Madrid, so that makes it all worth it. So far I have just taught lessons to members, but today we are going to teach 2 investigators.
The spiritual thought is Alma 7:10-13. It gives an awesome description of the Atonement, the best Christmas present ever, and everyone who wants it can receive it.
Have a great Christmas season, and I love you all oh so much.
Have a great day.
Love, Elder Miller

No comments: