Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Almost April


Hey guys, how is it going down there, or up there or over there, wherever you are compared to me? Today has been just splendid, as we went to the temple this morning. It was just fantabulous. I saw Elder Jensen and Elder Van Dyke there, so I had 3 of my 4 mission field companions there. It was a jolly good time and a great little reunion. Also, we are staying tonight in Barrio 5 or Sol the center of Madrid. This is where our zone leaders serve, and it would be an awesome area to have for tourism. I wonder how the mission work goes though.

We taught this blind man named Frutuoso last week. He was just so, so nice, and glad to have someone to talk to and talk at, and listen to. We taught him, but I don’t know how often it will happen. He is going on vacation, and I don’t know how interested he was in the gospel. He has a woman who takes care of him, and is his eyes, and then he hasn’t been married and is age 70. He has been blind for 55 years, and is just an awesome man. The charla was nice because I could look around the house and sit super relaxed and comfortable, and adjust my socks and bite my nails and then just talk. It was a weird experience indeed. We just sat on this couch while we were there, but when we left I did a little dance in the mirror and almost made my companion laugh but he didn’t laugh at all. It was funny, but probably a little immature, you live and you learn.

Hermana Loli, our branch president’s wife is doing great, but still recuperating at home. The details of her surgery are that they took out her heart and operated on it, and hooked her up to a machine, then put the heart back in all ready to go with reinforced arteries I believe. Anyway, she has made almost a full recovery but is still in the house healing. We have taken her the sacrament in her home. That’s a great opportunity to relive the priest age years that weren’t very long ago at all.

Tons of the kids all over the streets are addicted to these things called Pokemon Roks. I don’t know if that’s the case in the states, or what, but here they are all the rage for the elementary age kids. You’ve got to love the elementary fads which include, but are not limited to Pogs, yo yo´s, Tamagochis, Converse Allstars, Pokemon cards or anything Pokemon, whatever kind of pen some kid gets I think William Penn Elementary’s was the Gelly roller, and as I said, the list extends forever. Oh yeah, Beanie Babies too, or the mini ones from McDonalds... ok I will leave you to reminisce about your favorite elementary school fads, but the best is the jr. high school 7th grader bangs. That’s how I define when the 7th grade boys discover gel, and they spike there bangs straight out or slightly up. All good memories... Mom you can include a picture of my 7th grader bangs if you want.

We are teaching Andres and Humberto still, and they are still amazing. Now, though, also we are teaching the mother, Humberto’s wife Rubiela, and Juan, who is Andres’ 12 year old brother who is a soccer goalie. Andres is 15 and a forward in soccer. They are awesome, and now we just need them to stop being so good at soccer and not have games on Sundays so they can come to church.

The newest mostest favoritest recipe, I think so there are just to many to count, is breakfast business. Made originally by one Elder Clark who went to my high school and is a branch president right now in Cuenca in our mission. It is a hashbrown, peppers, onions, cheesiness, delicious salsa brava sauce, Greek yogurt, and on a tortilla if you prefer, oh yeah bacon, and basically delicious for all meals of the day every day.

We had district conference in Valladolid 2 weeks ago, and it was just awesome. Our Mission President spoke, and his wife as well. It was awesome, and we got mail, so it was a double whammy.

Last Sunday was Easter and we had crazy snow both Saturday and Sunday. We had temperatures of negative 5 Celsius at night. So it was freezing, and would just snow off and on the whole weekend. So happy Christmas, I mean Easter.

We saw 5 or 6 crazy processions, and you would have to see one to know what I mean. They criss-crossed from every barrio or area or neighborhood down to the Plaza Mayor I believe. So you couldn’t go anywhere in the afternoon from Thursday to Sunday without stumbling into a procession. Culture change is definitely a weird thing for sure.

We had interviews last week that went just splendid and have zone conference tomorrow; hence we are in Barrio 5.
So, I love you all and will have to talk more about Alvaro next week. I believe, maybe I can get it in. We knocked in to him 3 weeks ago on exchanges, Elder Abbot and I. I used my dad’s Colombian money to get to know him, since he is Colombian. We taught him last Saturday, and he came to church on Sunday. I see bright things in his future, and I am super excited for him.

Love you guys a ton.

Much love from Spain,
Elder Miller

1 comment:

Movie Review Mom said...

Your mom told me about your blog and I love it! I served in the Spain, Madrid mission from 1985-87. Ohhh, that makes me sound so old. I loved reading about Spain in your letters and the photos are especially fun. Wow, Barrio 5 in Madrid? We had only 2 when I was there! The temple hadn't even been built yet! That's so awesome! Keep up the good work, Elder! Que viva Espana!
Trina Boice