Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Easter

Hey guys, how is it going over there?

Sorry no email last week. Something went wrong, but last week still happened and life goes on. The computers were super slow, and so I had trouble typing much of an email anyway, so it would have been a disappointing one. So now you just get double the fun. I would have sent one again last week, but it told me that it sent just fine. This crappy program we use!

Fathers’ Day is today, on the 19th of March in Spain. I went back to the piso and looked at the calendar, and it is in June at home. Mom, will you get to the bottom on this weirdness? Dad, I guess you get two Fathers’ Days this year. Evan, Happy 16th Birthday tomorrow!

Oh, I dry cleaned my dark green suit last week, and now I am wearing it again, and my black one will get picked up after this, so I won’t stink, not even a little bit in these nice clean pressed suits. I got the last package Mom sent & an Easter package from Grandma. They were awesome! I loved the treats and pictures, just loved them. So, my room did get taken by Evan, funny how that works out. I saw the red couch in the picture and I am pretty sure that Evan’s old room is a video game-chill room, so Evan must be sleeping in mine.

I have a huge list of things to say, and I will get through them in the next couple of weeks. I might not be sure on dates, but here goes. We have been really pushing English classes, and it is still not working very well. We don’t have any students, but have put up a bunch of flyers, and then it is on our business cards we give out with our numbers and capilla times. Tons of people call, like between 20 and 30, but none come to church, even though they say they will.

We are super busy on our habitacion search, and then also missionary work is about as busy a life as you can live. So we have our hands full up here - the real estate agent missionaries of Segovia. The habitacion search is kind of rough, but we will just keep pushing through. We have insanely high standards to keep on the pisos for the mission, so it is super, super, super hard to fulfill our standards. We have had some close calls with ones that almost worked but still nothing to work yet.

Well, it has been a crazy week here, and we’ve got our big 5 this week, that is our 5 investigators. I don’t know why I called them the big 5, but they consist of Juan, Kelly, Alfredo, and Andres and his father Humberto. They are all awesome, and to go along with them we have Kenneth, the best little 8 year old in the world. He gave a talk this week.

We saw some Americans one day near the aqueduct from Boston. No the aqueduct isn’t from Boston, the Americans were, and not Boston, but a small town in Massachusetts somewhere. They gave us their address and we sent them some letters and a few pictures. They gave us a bag of Starbursts, how nice and delicious. He is a Branch President in their area at home, and they were awesome.

I have become a cheese cake chef extraordinaire. I have done plain, obviously. But, I have also used Crystal Light Western Family version drink flavoring to make a peaches and cream cheese cake and a raspberry and cream cheese cake. Both must be tried and are superisimo deliciouso.

Victor got kicked out of his piso along with his family, including his parents. The 9 of them hadn’t paid rent in 3 months, and moved to live with family in what is probably an even more insanely squished piso. I feel really bad for him, and hope the best for him. Hopefully he will come in contact with the church in Bulgaria some day or obviously on the other side. I wish the best of luck to Victor and his family.

There is this one plaza on Jose Zorilla that attracts, and has attracted a ton more people recently with the Spring here. There are play grounds and a little futbol court for the kids, and stuff. The kids love us, and we gave them our Starbursts above mentioned from the Massachusetts members. So thanks to them, the Spanish kids love us more than ever.

I do this little magic trick snapping a coin up my sleeve off my fingers. It gets them every time, and they love it. It’s a little something that is just the key to some people’s hearts. I learned that from Elder Gunn, my second companion. I also like to charm every old lady in all of Segovia at every bus stop, and all the sidewalks, carrying there bags or walking with a cane. They all say hi to us and it is way funny. Most are under 5 feet tall, and wave like President Hinckley with his cane. I always say to Elder Peterson that they are my girlfriends. So after each new old woman friend I’m like “yeah man, another girlfriend in Segovia”. It always makes for a good time. They turn me down every time I ask if I can carry their bags, no matter how slow they walk or how hard they are struggling. I wish they were less stubborn and would let me help. That’s one lesson I have learned really well. Elder Peterson and I really had a kind of service war going, where we were both practically fighting over every dish and everything we could possibly do for the other. So let yourself be served, and then take the opportunities to serve when they come.

Also, the March Ensign is amazing and I just love it. It focuses so much on Christ and the Easter season. So read it and appreciate what Christ did for you. Also, here in Spain, it is Semana Santa, which consists of many processions and all kinds of celebrations, and acting out what happened with Christ so long ago. They do everything from acting out the Last Supper with an audience of tons of people, to reenactments of the Crucifixion. It’s crazy!

Just a little thought that is spiritual. We really have been blessed here, but we have had many trials of our faith like in Ether 12:6.

Have a good Easter. I love you guys.

Sorry for the drought of email last week.

Love, Elder Miller

No comments: