Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Howdy! Part 2


Hey everyone how is your life going? I am doing great out here in Segovia. First, I think it would be awesome for everyone to look at the talk by Elder L.Tom Perry in the last conference talks about raising the bar. It is amazing and I am applying it to this work daily. I think it would also be an amazing talk for anyone to apply to their daily life - especially to anyone preparing for or considering a mission, young or old, boy or girl.

Last preparation day, Elder Jensen and I did a little bit of rebajas shopping, which is the after holiday discount sales. He bought a pair of socks and was planning on buying a suit but it didn’t happen. I didn’t buy anything, but we looked around. We were walking back and we passed Foster´s Hollywood Restaurant, and I don’t think there was any turning down the 9.10 euro medio dia special, which included an appetizer, an entree, a dessert, and a free refills drink. I hope you understand how good of a price this is, and I hope you understand how much I drink when there are free refills involved. So we ate a lot, a lot, a lot of delicious, not so healthy but no less delicious food. I drank 6 fanta lemon sodas.

Oh yeah, I forgot about our wonderful meal calendar we made last week. It was a good week for food and an even better week for exercise. We ate this week some delicious roast beef aju sandwiches, then beef enchiladas, and then bacon burgers and bbq baked beans, and then taco soup for 2 days. It was so delicious. We found out that when we buy our breakfast separate and combine on the medio dia meal for each day our money goes to better food and we don’t pay anymore than usual. So it was delicious.

Oh, and right after Foster’s last preparation day we saw 2 members - one from Madrid and one from California. They were a married couple living in Provo. They were visiting here in Spain to get her residency here. They were sight seeing in Segovia and they told how they were saying the elders here are in a tiny branch and don’t get fed very often by members. They decided they would feed us if they saw us. They offered but we had just walked out of Foster’s minutes earlier. They were super nice.

Anyway, I made peanut butter chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies for family home evening with the branch on Friday, and they were delicious. I halved the recipe, and we ate some dough, and then cooked 1 dozen. Then we had the dough in the fridge. The bowl fell out and broke into tons of pieces with our precious dough inside. What a tragedy.

Oh well. Oh yeah we teach Sunday school here every other week and I had it my first week here, and again for this lesson 4 of the New Year. It goes well and the members have a lot to say in comments. The first lesson was on the clave of our religion. So it used an arch as the example... I can’t think of a better example than our neighborhood 2000 year old Roman aqueduct. So it was a good example to use.

I am getting to be a shoe shining, ironing, sewer, launderer, chef, grocery shopping machine out here. I love the mission field. So anyway, we were standing under that very aqueduct, Elder Jensen and I. Our phone rang. It was President Farnsworth and I was called to train a missionary, wow, and he is right next to me. It was his first day in the mission field yesterday, and today is his first preparation day. I am going to take him to the castle and we are going to have a good old time. I am super sad to see my good buddy and companion Elder Jensen leave to Badajoz, the farthest away from the mission home. He is opening an area and is a senior companion. All I can say about this information is that there is no room for growth in a comfort zone, and there is no comfort in growth. I have lots of growth ahead of me, and I am sure Elder Jensen is feeling the same way.

Much love from Segovia,
Elder Miller

Oh yeah, my companion's name is Elder Peterson and he is from Cedar City, Utah.

No comments: