Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Almost February


Well how’s things over there, or wherever you are reading this from?
I am loving it here as usual. Sorry that I am becoming a little bit of a broken record with that saying, but I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t one hundred percent the truth.

The castle last preparation day was stupendous. The view from the tower was breathtaking; literally... you climb 151 stairs exactly to get to the top. Even with the insane amount of hills, stairs and walking we do here, it was enough to get my heart going a little.

I love this quote my grandma sent me from Pres. Eyring, "What is impossible for you is possible with God's help in His service. And even when you were very small and in the years since, He has with His power and His Spirit gone before your face and been on your left hand and on your right hand when you went in His service (see D & C 84:88) You can receive assurance that God will watch over you if you pray for it in FAITH." It is soooooo true. On that note, I thought I would comment a little about President Hinckley. I hope you all have had (or will have, I’m not sure when it is) the opportunity to see his funeral. I am sure it will be very uplifting and spiritual. I can’t remember a time without President Hinckley, and so this first conference is going to be a little weird.

We have had so many first experiences for Elder Peterson this week. It is pretty weird doing so many things for the first time with him. Sometimes I am helping him do something that I have only done once, and have to be the teacher. It is helping me grow immensely. We have been able to teach lessons, and contact, both of which Elder Peterson is participating in. He has the Sunday school lesson this Sunday, so we will be studying his lesson in our language studies leading up to the big day, game day. I am sure he will do just fine, but I will be there to help him if he needs a little help.

We taught a man named Alfredo and he has a son named NACHO, how cool is that. Mom why couldn’t you have named me Nacho Miller? Anyway it went amazing. It was relevant that he had had doubts in the previous lesson, and we helped him understand the things he was questioning. He has 4 kids and an awesome wife, all from Ecuador. We will see how things continue with there family.

We got to teach Victor, the window contact again, for the third time. We were able to use his cousin as a translator to help him understand better and for the whole family to understand. We will see how things go with him. He is awesome, and his family needs to learn more Spanish before they can really go anywhere in the church over here.

We did quite a bit of knocking this week. It seems that with some investigators they are too nice to tell us the truth, but don’t have a problem telling us that they are to busy or something came up. I feel like I am that kid that when I call, the person on the other line has there parents make up something they have to do so they don’t have to play with me. That’s only with some of them, but you can just kind of tell sometimes with people what they are really meaning and wanting. Oh well we will continue to work our hardest to teach and find more to teach and bring unto our Savior.

We had these two really old, really nice ladies invite us to eat lunch with them while knocking the other day. I have found people love you to comment on how good their food smells. I was super, super bummed out that we couldn’t go in because there wasn’t a man home. The food in this case really smelled absolutely wonderful, oh well.

At family night we had a lesson planned about baptism, and it turned out to be just the right one. Patricio told us that Kenneth, the 8 year old, wants me to baptize him on the 6th of April in Madrid. This was absolutely crazy, and I was so excited that we have a date for him to work toward. He is going to be the most funny deacon ever. Then in a couple years after, his brother Clayton is going to give him a run for his money to be the most funny deacon ever. As for Kelly, she is being super teenagerish and super hard to work with. So hopefully Kenneth will be a good example. It is hard because these kids were raised as Catholics by there grandparents, and that's all they know.

We found these awesome people named Saria, from Honduras, and her husband Rashid, from Morocco. We got in to meet them while knocking, and taught them the first lesson. We will be going back, and I am so excited to see how they progress. The work here is in the hands of the Lord, and he directs our paths.

Much love from over here in beautiful Segovia, and by the way Jesse, I would love to take you guys around and be your tour guide. That goes out to everyone after the mission. Thanks Jesse for the advice, and dad thanks for the advice as well. I love learning from older missionaries who are serving now, and that have returned home. I love this place and, I love the people here. I am so grateful to be serving here.

Love, Elder Miller

No comments: