Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day


I hope this email gets to you in its entirety! I’ll hold my breath. Firstly, thanks for the emails this week from both my Grandmas, my Mom, Becky Brown (Happy Birthday), Tiffany Evans and Jackson Brown. I got Grandma’s box and the cookies were simply splendid. We all loved them in the piso. Also, Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone, before I forget.
We taught Quirico yesterday and were able to show him the testimony of President Thomas S. Monson. It was really powerful, and I am especially excited to have Elder Bednar come on the 18th for our Mission Conference, and then a fireside for the investigators and members. The Mission Conference next Wednesday should be interesting. We will have preparation day on Tuesday instead of Wednesday next week, so keep that in mind for emails, to get to me next week they have to be sent by Monday night in your time zone. I hope all goes well in another fantastic week.
We rented bikes at the park with Quirico last week. We went to Juan Carlos Primero Park on the north side of Madrid near the airport. We had so much fun, but Hermana Salas crashed and so the hermanas left. Elder Goldhardt was also with us and all he had was a copy of his passport and no residency card due to being in the process of renewal. So it was a good thing we had thought to invite Quirico the night before.
Well, you have had a pathetic amount of updates on my mission in the past two emails so here goes. We had an awesome experience yesterday, in that the other elders started Spanish classes to teach the Filipinos and Americans, and afterwards we had a Noche de Hogar with a family of Filipinos. They brought some of their other family members that went to the Spanish classes, and we taught them about an hour after the other elders had written their information to give to us last night as a referral. The Lord helped us to contact a reference before it was even received. Miracles happen every day.
I have been focusing a lot on prayers which are just vital, and as Elder Bednar told us last conference, your nighttime prayer leads into your morning prayer which should stay a prayer in your heart throughout the day, thus creating a big blessing merry-go-round if you do it right. I am being impressed alot lately with one thing at least to improve on as I show my willingness to change and act on those promptings. It definitely doesn’t feel like it has been 19 months. It really leaves me questioning where the time went and how I can cherish the rest of the Lord’s time.
Has anyone been to Elder McBride’s parent’s restaurant Gecko’s yet on 10600 South and 781 West, across from Mulligans? You should all go there because the food my companion knows how too cook from learning from his dad is amazing. I can only imagine what it is like to eat at his teacher’s restaurant. It took me a minute to spell restaurant. I can’t really sound out words in English anymore as I could before, so I hope my mom is a good editor as she always was for every single paper in my years of school up to now.
Andres is just an elect man that is super dooper prepared, and will be receiving the Melchizedek priesthood on Sunday at Stake Conference. Andres fed us paella yesterday, and is just an amazing member who wants to learn so much about the Lord from the scriptures and how to follow him. He is going to work miracles with the restored power of God on this earth, the priesthood.
I have of late been on exchanges with Elder Sewell last week, and with Elder Moreno from Cadiz, Spain in the south. They were both awesome experiences loaded with teaching opportunities and finding ways to improve.
Yesterday, I had a funny experience on a rotten day for me, and a great day for the work. I fell going down Quirico’s stairs with he and Elder McBride. Quirico lives on the second floor and I took the first step with just my heel and the second as well, which led to a pile of Elder Miller on the stairs after skiing down the least gracefully possible and landing on my hip and elbow. Wow that hurt! But wow how it was something to remember. I have a great goose-egg to remember it by on my right elbow. While eating spare-ribs after the Filipino lesson, I was all done and I set my plate on the table, half on half off, like my shoes on the stairs earlier, and yep it fell of spilling bones all over my shoes and the floor. At least I had eaten those suckers clean and there wasn’t any rice left on the plate. Then last night I got sick with a head cold and fever, but the fever broke about 3 hours after it started. So this is an adventure for sure, where things go wrong, and things go amazingly spiritually miraculous, and everywhere in between. That’s what a mission is, and I love it. Interviews are on Monday next week, and then preparation day on Tuesday, and then the Mission Conference on Wednesday. It should be a hustle and bustle week.
Tell someone you love them for Valentines Day, especially Jackson Brown to the special someone in his ward.
Much love from Spain.
Love, Elder Miller

No comments: